Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Fly pupae

The pupae
The pupae  
Hi Jack,
I live in Melbourne ,Australia .
Unfortunately this kind of eggs/pupae appeared  under sofa /  corner on the carpet in our living room 4 days ago. There were 4 groups, each group has around 20-30 eggs. There is yellow milky inside the egg, with shiny smooth cover, and about 1 cm long (please see the picture).
The first time we saw them just under our Christmas tree with wrapped presents. My kids were really frightened. We have a very clean house. We did not know how they came in . At first we thought they were insects eggs.
Could you please tell us how this happened and how to get rid of them. We really don't want it happen again.
Thanks from Vivienne

These do look like fly pupae. Did you notice them only after you brought the Christmas tree into the house? I'm sure they are harmless and likely came from larvae that were on the tree. They won't infest the home and can be swept up. Post a follow up if you can fill in the details of the time line.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology