Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small, hard-shelled, black bugs

black bug
black bug  

small bug
small bug  
Dear Walter Hintz,

My kids, husband and I live in Hamden, CT. I've been noticing these small black/dark brown bugs mostly in my 2 yr old room on his play-mat (that i have bleached already). I try to step on them but it seems to me that they have a hard shell and are nearly impossible to kill them that way. I have also found them in the tub and in my 3 month old dresser. I have cleaned every nook and cranny in this place to possibly find the source but have been unsuccessful. I have attached pictures. What are these bugs and how can I get rid of them?

Thank you for you time,

Hi Patrycja (spelled correctly?)
These are snout beetles or Weevils. They are usually kitchen pests found in dried foods. Check all dried foods and flour in your cupboards and all pet foods if you have any. Look through anything that is not canned. If you find any discard the foods. If you see any adults empty the cupboards and  spray some diatomaceous earth in the cracks. Let me know hat happens.

Bird seed is a great place for weevils

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ