Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spider

red spider
red spider  
Hi , I found a spider in my bathroom and I was wondering if it could hurt myself or young son. Its  mostly red with a black back and red legs with some black on the feet. It was found in the bathroom around midnight and I just saw it move a little before it caught my attention. When I attempted to capture it i noticed it was playing dead.

Thank you for including an image with your question.  Unfortunately, only a much more detailed image would allow me to identify it with any degree of reliability.  My best guesses are:

I'm leaning toward a clubionid.  In any event, none of the above pose any threat in terms of being dangerously venomous to the average healthy adult, child, or family pet.

Sleep well, and Happy Holidays :-)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.