Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider in Rochester, NY

HI Eric,

I have been finding these spiders periodically around my house; in the kitchen and bathroom. I'm pretty sure they're not dangerous, but I don't know what kind they are and if I should be concerned. I've attached a picture of one I just found in my kitchen. They are sort of yellowish and smooth, almost with a translucent look. I'm hoping you can identify it.

Hi, Sarah:

Thank you for including the image.

There are several spiders that look like this, all very similar, but given your location, and that you found it indoors, my bet is on a Long-legged Sac Spider, probably Cheiracanthium mildei .  Here's my blog post, which includes links to even more information:

You are correct, they are not dangerously venomous to the average, healthy human or house pet.

Happy Holidays!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.