Entomology (Study of Bugs)/i think its a weta

i found i strange bug a couple of weeks ago in my garden tub, and i kept it in a cricket house and gave it a potatoe and some carrot shavings, and it lived for a couple of days and it died, i looked up some bugs on the internet and found i picture that looked like it and that bug was called a weta and by the information i found it was a female because of the egg tube, i thought maybe i brought it home from the pet store where i have bought feeder crickets for my scorpion, so i just left the subject alone, it says online they are from newzealand so thats the only way i could have thought it would have gottin here to my house in ohio, but then about three weeks later i woke up and went to open my curtians and i seen another, i tried to catch it but it jumped so far and down under my bed and i haven't seen it again today, i asked the pet store about it and they said they don't even carry them, now im a little worried on how i have them in my house and don't know if they are harmfull? do you have any information about them?

I can just about guarantee you it is not a weta that you are seeing.  Far more likely it is one of the native "camel crickets," like the ones shown here:

They are mostly scavengers, so I'm somewhat surprised the one you had in captivity didn't live a little longer.

Hope this helps!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.