Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Interesting Ant

Dr. Turtle wrote at 2013-11-11 16:16:03
Just a note: I photographed a similar species - maybe the same one - yesterday on the Osa Peninsula. It was remarkably shy, moving quickly undere cover of leaves, etc and staying there until I uncovered it. I managed to snap a couple of quick photos, but even with the photos in addition to my direct observations, I remained uncertain as to whether it was an ant, a velvet wasp, or perhaps even an ant-mimicking spider (although it would have had to be a darned good one!). Dana's photo and and Ed's photo link to InBio were the only ones I could find on the web that matched my specimen.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.