Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Beetle Identification

Question
Beetles zoomed
Beetles zoomed  
Beetles
Beetles  
QUESTION: Hi Ed,
I live on the Pacific coast of Mexico and found this clump of beetles on the side of my refrigerator yesterday around noon. Attached are 2 photos, one is zoomed. I've tried to identify them, but no luck and I don't think I've ever seen them before. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have an organic farm and insect control is not easy. First step is always to know what I'm dealing with. Thank you very much.
Dobie

ANSWER: Dear Dobie - Is there any way that you could obtain a clearer close-up of at least one of these insects? I cannot even be certain whether these are beetles or true bugs from the images provided. I am inclined to believe that they more likely are bugs, as this type of massing behavior is more typical for them than for most beetles. Another item that would be helpful in narrowing down possibilities would be noting any item (plant or animal) that you see them feeding upon.

Waiting to hear back,
Saugy

Beetles more zoom
Beetles more zoom  
QUESTION: Hi Saugy,
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought they were beetles because of the 6 legs and what looks like 3 body sections. I haven't seen them on any plants yet, only on the side of the fridge, which seemed like a strange place and made me think maybe they had just hatched. If I see them again, I'll for sure let you know. Hope this picture helps to identify them, be they beetles or bugs.

Thanks again,
Dobie

Answer
Hello Dobie - At least now I can confirm that these are indeed nymphs of a true bug (order Hemiptera); likely in the family Coreidae (leaf-footed bugs) - see http://tinyurl.com/b2xs7s7 for an example. This family includes both plant-feeding and predatory species, so I would just keep an eye out for any untoward activity on your garden plants. Should you see them feeding on plants, applications of an insecticidal soap should provide at least some measure of control.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad