Entomology (Study of Bugs)/cocoon

Question
cocoon
cocoon  
Hi Eric - Found the attached cocoon on the ground in the woods yesterday. Is it from the cecropia moth?

Thanks,
A. Hutchinson

Answer
Hi, Avis:

Wow, hard to be sure, but you are certainly on the right track.  My best guess would be a Polyphemus or Luna cocoon.  Cecropia cocoons tend to be much more elongated and at least somewhat "fluffy" in appearance.

Here's a nice online article that might help, especially if you want to see what comes out of the thing:

http://www.aprairiehaven.com/?page_id=9857

Bill Oehlke runs this site, and it looks like you can contact him directly:

http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/indexos.htm

Hope this helps, or at least gets you started to a conclusive answer :-)

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton