Entomology (Study of Bugs)/cocoon

Hi Eric - Found the attached cocoon on the ground in the woods yesterday. Is it from the cecropia moth?

A. Hutchinson

Hi, Avis:

Wow, hard to be sure, but you are certainly on the right track.  My best guess would be a Polyphemus or Luna cocoon.  Cecropia cocoons tend to be much more elongated and at least somewhat "fluffy" in appearance.

Here's a nice online article that might help, especially if you want to see what comes out of the thing:

Bill Oehlke runs this site, and it looks like you can contact him directly:

Hope this helps, or at least gets you started to a conclusive answer :-)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.