Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insect Identification (reguarding safety of my dog)

Question
Unknown Bug (1st pic)
Unknown Bug (1st pic)  

Second Picture (Unknown Bug)
Second Picture (Unknow  
As I'm sure you are busy, I will do my best to keep my question as short as possible...
  ...The insect has a similar appearance to a crane fly, except a closer look revealed what seems to be a double stinger. I will attempt to attach a photo or two if possible, unfortunately my camera is unable to zoom enough to reveal the stinger. The length of the bug is approximately 3/4 inches. I am located in Gainesville, FL, United States of America.  
     My curiosity/concern results from the following event. Last night, my Chocolate Labrador attempted to catch a bug (as dogs often do). Suddenly she took off with her tail tucked and head down, headed to hide under the bed. Ever since, she has been very skittish and avoids the area of the house in which she encountered this bug. She has acted several times now as if she just got stung again, has hidden in the bushed outside (something she has never done in 5 years), etc. If you can, please let me know what type of bug this is and if I should be more concerned for my pet's health. Thank you for your time and response.
Bobby C.

Answer
Bobby,

I think this is a crane fly, or a closely related primitive fly (the image is too small to be certain at even a family level but it is close taxonomically to the crane flies). Crane flies do not sting, I think what you see on the "tail" end are called "claspers", appendages on males that are used during mating.

I don't know what happened to your dog but it probably was not related to this fly.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis