Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Bug

Question
Drawing
Drawing  
Location: alone in my bedroom, AZ, USA
Date: 1/11/2013, 6:30pm
Mobility: crawling

Characteristics:
-Primary color: tan on top, lighter underneath.
-Secondary color: a darker tan, towards the abdomen on top.

Vermiform in shape, scaly, and wingless. A single tail-like appendage (similar to that of a rat-tailed maggot in shape, but only about as long as its body). 0.45cm long, 0.1cm wide. Its tail is 0.3cm long. Six legs at the front end. Very thin, sparse hairs about the underside of its body. Seems to respond to light; possibly two eyes towards the head, which look like two black specks.

Interesting note: When tape was gently applied to the topside to get a better view, an orange-tan stain was left in the shape of the scales. After turning it over to do look, it stopped moving and presumably deceased.

Attached is a drawing of it.

I appreciate any and all help in identifying this creature. I'm very curious about it!

Answer
Joseph:

Looks to be the larva of a beetle of some kind, perhaps this one:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/18119

If not, you might try contacting Carl Olson, Associate Curator at the entomology department at University of Arizona in Tucson:

http://ag.arizona.edu/ento/insectid.htm

Hope this helps!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton