Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery bug

Question
Mystery bug
Mystery bug  
A few weeks ago, I noticed several black specks on the tile in my laundry room.  After a closer look, they looked dead so I just swept them up. A few days later I noticed the bugs again, only there were a few that were stil crawling around. I ended up spraying "Black Flag Extreme" home pesticide, and they appeared to have went away. I then went on a ten day vacation, and when I retuned home to Arkansas, the bugs were back and were on the floor everywhere! I swept them up, and didn't spray the pesticide again because our dogs were inside. That same night, I got up at 3am to switch a load of laundry to the dryer and the bugs were too numerous to count. At that time, they were on the walls, on the floor, and on a laundry cabinet, both inside and out.

I went back to bed and when I got up the next morning, the bugs were practically gone. There was no evidence of the bugs on the walls or in the cabinets; only a few bugs remained on the floor. I'm wondering if the bugs are living in the laundry cabinet - my mother in law gave me the laundry cabinet, and she is by no means a housekeeper. I disinfected the cabinet when she gave it to me, but I really wonder if I should set it at the curb with the trash this week. Please help!!

I have three questions:
1-did they likely come in with the laundry cabinet?
2-how do I get rid of them?
3-what are they?

Answer
Dear Jillian - What you have here is one of the grain/granary weevils in the genus Sitophilus. Their larvae feed within seeds of grains, including wheat, rice, and corn (maize), as well as some others such as chickpeas. You should check all areas where any grains (including bird seed) are stored for signs of insect infestation. They would not be living in the laundry cabinet unless there was some food source for them in there. See http://tinyurl.com/cff3o6r for some good advice on controlling these pests.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad