Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Old spider bite

Hello Sir,
I was bitten by a black jumping spider on the back of my right leg.  The bite area swelled over several days and developed a dead necrotic area around the puncture.  I had to be treated with oral and intravenous antibiotics at the time.  This was 10 years ago.  Two years ago the bite opened up, swelled, bled, and I was again treated with antibiotics.  Once again, I am experience swelling and pain at the bite site and expect another infection.  Is this common with spider bites?  Do they ever go away completely?

No! It is not common for a spider bite to have such lasting effects. The initial bite should have cleared up in days. In your case it became infected but the infection should have cleared up. I cannot answer why it keeps coming back. This is a question for an MD

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ