Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Please ID

Photo 1
Photo 1  
Photo 2
Photo 2  

Earlier this week, I found these attached to some loose tape that had fallen under my bed

I kept the tape in a ziploc bag and over the past few days, I think that one extra one has appear on a spot that was empty before
Could you please tell me what type of larva this is, if you have any guess as to how many there would be, how I could kill them all, or any other information?

Thank you for your help

The images are too small to be certain but photo 2 might be the larva of a meal moth. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mealmoth.html and follow the links to a picture of the larva. These insects are common in homes and a few are no reason for concern See the page cited for more info.

Jack DeAngelis

Thanks for your fast reply. I'm just thinking that I'm sure there's no food scraps in my room, and the sample I have looks very similar to the larva of a clothing moth as well (and over the years I have seen one or two clothing moths in my room before - never the larva though) Could it also be clothing moth?

Thanks again

Yes, but they are usually associated with some kind of sac or case made of fibers (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/clothes_moth.html for pictures). Also, clothes moth larvae are usually concealed inside a fold of fabric, or similar, not wandering freely as meal moth larvae do.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology