Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Stink bug?

I found the bug in the attached photo in the woods by our house in coastal SC. I think it might be some type of stinkbug, but not real sure as it looked longer than the stinkbugs I'm use to seeing. Can you give me a positive i.d.?
A. Hutchinson

Hi, Avis:

Well, you are close.  Nice image, too.

This is a leaf-footed bug, Acanthocephala declivis , in the family Coreidae:

They suck plant sap, but are rarely, if ever, pests.  They *will* deploy their scent glands if you handle them roughly, but are otherwise harmless.

This is one species for which I have only seen a nymph, not an adult, so I'm a bit jealous :-)

Thanks for sharing your discovery.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.