Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown wasp/ant

We found this wasp/ant type insect and don't know what it is. Do you know?

Thanks in advance

Was found in apartment in washington DC at night.

Definitely a wasp, but not nearly enough detail for me to tell you what kind. I need to see the wing venation at minimum.

You could always take the specimen to the entomology department at the National Museum of Natural History (Smithsonian), and ask for assistance.  They might turn you away, but would probably suggest other local agencies as alternatives.  Try e-mailing or calling first.

Sorry, there are limits to what I can do from images alone.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.