Entomology (Study of Bugs)/WORM Idetification

Question
Worm
Worm  
Hi Ed,
I found this worm on shaded area of concrete as I was washing the concrete down.It is light brown with no discernable head features. It appears to be a parasitic worm as it has a sucker type mouth and is about 7 inches long. It almost looks like a ring worm but has a darker colouration and more defined external structure than compared images on the web...although ring worm may be in many varieties. Photo is attached.

Answer
Dear Allison - This appears to be a Gordian worm, a nematode-like animal in the phylum Nematomorpha; they all are parasitic on arthropods such as spiders and orthopteroid insects such as crickets and grasshoppers. What appears to be a sucker more likely is its posterior end - see http://tinyurl.com/azvbt88 for images and more details on their life cycle.

Hope this helps,
Saugy  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad