Entomology (Study of Bugs)/False widow?

False widow?
False widow?  
Hi, you are probably aware there is an outbreak of the false widow spider in the uk. I'm really not fond of them to be honest. Looking online this spider I found earlier looks a bit like one with the pattern on the back can you confirm or deny if it is a false widow please?

There's not enough detail here to id. The spider (if it is a spider) appears to rolled into a ball and is too dark to see the pattern. There's a good image here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24636116 for comparison. If you can get a better image I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology