Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Flying bug the size of small bird

bug as big as small bird
bug as big as small bi  
Last week walking out the back door, my eyes caught the sight of something on the side of the brick garage. Walking up to it, thinking it was a bird, I noticed it was a large brown color flying insect with a T shape head (see Photo). We live in Michigan, in Saginaw area. In all my years I never saw such a thing. I looked it up on several sights that cover michigan bugs and it was no where to be found. Can you help identify it by the photo?  Regards,  Mike

Thanks for including the image with your question.

The insect is an adult Chinese Mantis, Tenodera sinensis .  As the name suggests, it is not a native species, but it has been established in the U.S. for a long time.  Yes, they do fly.  Here is more about them:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.