Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Flying bug the size of small bird

Question
bug as big as small bird
bug as big as small bi  
Last week walking out the back door, my eyes caught the sight of something on the side of the brick garage. Walking up to it, thinking it was a bird, I noticed it was a large brown color flying insect with a T shape head (see Photo). We live in Michigan, in Saginaw area. In all my years I never saw such a thing. I looked it up on several sights that cover michigan bugs and it was no where to be found. Can you help identify it by the photo?  Regards,  Mike

Answer
Mike:

Thanks for including the image with your question.

The insect is an adult Chinese Mantis, Tenodera sinensis .  As the name suggests, it is not a native species, but it has been established in the U.S. for a long time.  Yes, they do fly.  Here is more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/10098

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton