Entomology (Study of Bugs)/help identify please

our big bug
our big bug  
hi me and my daughter found this bug in our back porch, i have no idea what it is but would love to know, the bug only raised its tail because it felt threatened and it had 2 little white bits come out the end and its approx 2-3cm long
thank you

Dear Bobbie,

The bug in question is a beetle commonly called Rove Beetle. They are fairly common in gardens across the world except in cold regions. This beetle is likely to be Ocypus olens, which is also commonly called Devilís Coach Horse Beetle (but they're not that evil).

You can read more about Rove Beetles from UK here: http://www.just-green.com/article/175/Rove-Beetle.html

I hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Aniruddha Dhamorikar

I will answer general identification questions about insects and spiders ONLY from India. I cannot guarantee specific identification (of species), but I will try my best! If I do not have the answer, I will get back to you on the right answer as soon as possible.

I have been studying fauna of Indian for several years, as a hobby as well as academically.

B.Sc. Zoology M.Sc. Environmental Science M.E.S.