Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Insects in India

Is there any record of how Many species of insects have been recorded so far in India alone.

Dear Arun Prasad,

Interestingly there is no record of how many species of India have been identified as of now. In fact how many insect orders are found in India is also unsure. Only record I found is "In Phylum Arthropoda (which consists of all insects, spiders, crabs, etc.) India has 6.13 percent of total species recorded so far in the world (60,383 species out of 98,3744) (ZSI, 1991)." Even this report is outdated.

You asked a very valid question and I'm myself surprised to see this huge lacuna in our documentation of insects - I will put the number anywhere between 1000 to 10,000. But we will never know for sure mostly because studies like these are scattered and restricted to particular areas only.

Apologies for not being able to answer your question.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Aniruddha Dhamorikar

I will answer general identification questions about insects and spiders ONLY from India. I cannot guarantee specific identification (of species), but I will try my best! If I do not have the answer, I will get back to you on the right answer as soon as possible.

I have been studying fauna of Indian for several years, as a hobby as well as academically.

B.Sc. Zoology M.Sc. Environmental Science M.E.S.