Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Larvae in my shower

Larvae in shower1
Larvae in shower1  

Larvae in shower2
Larvae in shower2  

I just to moved into a new place 4 weeks ago and now I've been finding white/yellowish larvae in my shower.

They are approximately 1/2" long and have a brownish strip on the tip of one end.

I also have found dead brown silver worms about the same size on the floor of the bathroom.

Are these something to be concerned about? I already have a moisture issue in this place.

This pictures are very clear, but hopefully enough to identify.

Dear Angie - Your images are indeed not clear enough for me to be confident of an identification. I will say, however, that they were not what I expected to see after reading your description. As best I can make out, the one in the second image resembles a larva (caterpillar) of an Indianmeal moth, a common pantry pest. If that is the case, you should see more of them crawling high on a wall or on the ceiling; when mature, they leave whatever food item they had been infesting and wander about looking for a safe place to undergo pupation. See http://tinyurl.com/ksctwwb for an image and http://tinyurl.com/kmrt3t2 for a fact sheet with more detailed information including control recommendations. However, if after reviewing the cited material, you believe that you have something else, please try to obtain a clearer image (perhaps by placing one on a plain sheet of paper/cardboard) that you could attach to a follow-up question.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.