Entomology (Study of Bugs)/mystery bug

Question
front porch bug
front porch bug  
Found  this big fella hanging fromthe ceiling our front porch this morning.  His body is about 3 to 4" long, notcounting his legs or antennae.   I could not tell if he has wings.  His face looks like a cross between a shrimp and a grasshopper.   I live on the coastline of the Atlantic,central Florida

Answer
Dear Dan - Because of the angle at which this image was taken, I cannot be absolutely certain, but I believe that it is a Florida true katydid, Lea floridensis (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae; subfamily Pseudophyllinae) - see http://tinyurl.com/nfro7j5 for an image. Very little appears to be known about the habits of this species other than that specimens have been collected in scrub oaks, palmettos, and vine-covered undergrowth habitats and that captive specimens have been noted to feed on the foliage of dwarf live oak.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad