Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Insect ID please

Question
Mystery Insect
Mystery Insect  
Hello, This little guy has been keeping me company in my cubicle all morning and I have no idea what he is. I found him this morning inside my plastic grocery bag I carried in yesterday that I used for my snacks. He's having a difficult time gaining any traction inside the bag and doesn't seem to be able to jump or fly. I've checked the insect ID websites for my area, and he doesn't seem to be on them. He's about 3-4 mm long and living in Southeastern Wisconsin, close to Illinois.

Answer
Hi, Shay:

Cool!  Your image shows the nymph (young stage) of an insect called the "Masked Hunter."  It is one of the assassin bugs that preys on other insects.  I wrote a blog post about it:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2013/01/true-bug-tuesday-masked-hunter.html

That should answer all your questions about it.  Neat find, thank you for sharing!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton