Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Insect ID please

Mystery Insect
Mystery Insect  
Hello, This little guy has been keeping me company in my cubicle all morning and I have no idea what he is. I found him this morning inside my plastic grocery bag I carried in yesterday that I used for my snacks. He's having a difficult time gaining any traction inside the bag and doesn't seem to be able to jump or fly. I've checked the insect ID websites for my area, and he doesn't seem to be on them. He's about 3-4 mm long and living in Southeastern Wisconsin, close to Illinois.

Hi, Shay:

Cool!  Your image shows the nymph (young stage) of an insect called the "Masked Hunter."  It is one of the assassin bugs that preys on other insects.  I wrote a blog post about it:

That should answer all your questions about it.  Neat find, thank you for sharing!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.