Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Pill/ sow bugs tha tlight up??

Question
I have seen several times now late at night while I am out with my dogs in Up state Pa. dim blueish lights in the grass. I thought I was seeing things untill I managed to actualy see the bug that was making the light. It looked like a Sow bug but flater and had a body that was slightly almond shaped with many sgements and several legs . It was a dark brown or black it moved slowly but still fast enought to escape into the grass. I have seen the light before but now I have seen the bug. It was with several sow bugs near a pile of wood chips.
Any idea whatit is?
Thank you . This was seen on Sept 30 , 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Answer
Alan:

I strongly suspect that what you saw was the larva of a firefly (beetle family Lampyridae) or glowworm (beetle family Phengodidae).  Here's more on each:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/85 (fireflies)

http://bugguide.net/node/view/9382 (glowworms)

I do not believe there are bioluminescent sowbugs or pillbugs, which are actually land crustaceans called isopods.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton