Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small brown hard shell bug?

Question
Hello, I've been troubled by these bugs that gather on my wrap around porch and like to hang out on my flowers, plants, and mostly under their pots. The flowers are mums, if that's relevant. I wouldn't say the bug is entirely round, bc it flattens a little on lower half. And I wouldn't say it's entirely brown ever. Upon closer inspection it looks a little off white pattern. I think it's a type of beetle. It is hard shelled. And when stepped or smooshed leaves a noticeable stain and smell. They don't seem to cause any harm really, however my mums all did die quickly, but I'm not a green thumb.
Then today I have a crazy migration of Asian lady beetles, hundreds swarming my porch. I did my research online about this and look at the pics of the black ones and it does not look like the critters I'm plagued by. I live in the southeast USA, cullman, Alabama. Hope this is enough info. Thanks

Answer
Mamie:

I'm sorry, but this is not enough information to go on.  The Asian lady beetles are responding to fall temperatures and beginning to gather for winter hibernation.

I'm having a problem developing a mental image of the other insects you're describing.

If you have any pictures, please send them.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs