Entomology (Study of Bugs)/very small bugs on my nightstand?!

Question
Hello. I just went to take a sip of water from a glass sitting on my nightstand and there were several tiny bugs all over the rim of my glass! I am so glad I noticed them in time.  My glass was a dark color so the were very visible. I looked around and noticed they were everywhere...I am guessing 50 of them.  Since I had a vase of flowers that were ready to be throw away sitting on the same nightstand, I am guessing that the flowers or flower water had something to do with these bugs.  The bugs were very tiny (I'm guessing the head of a pin) and they seemed to vary in color a bit since some looked reddish and the others more of a tan color. I've cleaned them all up and have used a million cleaners on my nightstand. I would like to know what they are and any other information you think I should have.  Thank you!!  Laura from Los Gatos, CA

Answer
Laura:

I wasn't going to answer this question until you mentioned that there were flowers on your nightstand.

Flowers are a popular destination for small insects called thrips (singluar and plural).  Thrips feed on sap from flower petals and leaves.  If your flowers were going downhill, these insects may have been looking for moisture.

For more information, do a search for "thrips" and see what you find.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs