Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider found in Delivery

The Italian Job
The Italian Job  
Hi my manager found a spider the size if a British two pence piece in a batch of wallpaper/ wallcovering dispatched from Italy, was wondering if you can identify the said spider, thank you

I can't give you an exact species, but this spider belongs to a large group called Orb Weavers.  They spin ornate webs in open air locations.

They are not considered harmful to humans and if they bite, it causes irritation, but nothing else.

Because you are in UK and this spider came from an Italian shipment, my first recommendation is to kill the spider, if you haven't already done so.  If this species of spider is not native to the UK, you don't want it establishing itself there.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.