Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider identification

Question
I live in IL, near Chicago. Around 8 PM my husband was outside in our back yard and saw a very large red spider in a web near the garage. It was at least the size of a quarter, if not larger, and was sort of a rusty red color. Its legs were evenly spaced. The web was very large, maybe 2 or 3 feet wide.Just curiousabout what kind of a spider it might be. I have never seen anything like it. Thanks!

Answer
Glennis:

You are describing some kind of orb weaver, family Araneidae.  My best guess is one of these two species:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2011/08/spider-sunday-cross-spider.html

or

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2012/11/spider-sunday-hentzs-orbweaver.html

Both species can be variable in color and pattern, but both are very common in your area.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton