Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Very Tiny Black Beetle

Question
Just yesterday I was outside washing my vehicle in the driveway beside a holly bush, and was suddenly bitten by something very tiny. It happened several times before I moved my vehicle to continue the carwash and get away from the bugs.

Then today wherever I was bitten has now turned to large, red, itchy welts.  And apparently I was bitten far more times and places than I knew.

At first I didn't notice these bugs on me because they were so tiny but once they bit, it felt more like something stinging me.

These tiny bugs were about the size of a "chigger", dark black, round as a dot, and I couldn't tell if they had wings or how many legs because of their minute size. I have never seen these bugs nor experienced such an intense bite before. And because of their round shape, they looked like a beetle of some sort.

I looked online and ruled out "no see ums" because what these bugs were were completely round like a beetle, they were not a fly.

If it helps, I am located in Southeastern Michigan.

Answer
Rebecca,

Since there are no small beetles that bite like this it must be something else. Here's a list of the insects and mites that bite people http://www.livingwithbugs.com/unknown_bug_bites.html and some things that can be mistaken for bug bites. Look the list over and see if anything seems to fit. Post a follow if you have questions or can get a picture of what bit you.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis