Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown spider found

Venom spider
Venom spider  

Venom spider
Venom spider  
I have an ID question about a spider found in north central Texas. It looks like a black widow (shiny skinned) but as a unique pattern on the top of it's thorax similar to the face of comic book creature (Venom). It was about the size of a US nickel. The images are on loan from a firend, so I do not have rights to them other than ID purposes.

Well, it *is* a black widow, probably an immature male Southern Black Widow, Latrodectus mactans .  Here's more about them:

That website is very accurate with information, images, etc, so you can trust it.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.