Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug identification

Image 1
Image 1  

Image 2
Image 2  
I found this bug, it crawled out from under my couch tonight. My first thought was a cockroach from the looks of it and body shape, but I searched images upon images and couldn't find anything resembling it and it had no wings. Could you help me identify it? And possibly a way to get rid of them if there are possibly more? Sorry about poor image I was afraid it would run away on me.

This is indeed a cockroach. Baits are the best method of control. You can try borate powder (Roach Pruf and others) first but commercial baits work better on large infestations. Take a look at http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroach_control.html and post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology