Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug or Insect Identification

Found these bugs in my bathroom that seem to move around when it's dark. When I turn on the lights they head for cover... The little guys look like pieces of shell or rock, flat and somewhat oval shaped. The head comes out like a snail and tucks back into it's shell when scared... They are off white, like a broken sea shell or piece of rock or debris. About 3/4 inch long, very odd looking and I would really like to know what the "shell" they might be??? Thanks..............

I think you might have the "Household Casebearer."  Images and information here:

They apparently feed mostly on old spider webs, so are not harmful.

Please let me know if I am completely off the mark, but then include either an image or a much more detailed description.  Thank you.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.