Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Gnat-sized caterpillar clusters on stucco

Question
stucco larvae015
stucco larvae015  
Hi Ed,

Periodically I notice these irregular spots, about 2" x 1.5" on the exterior stucco of my 85 yr-old home in Oakland, CA. On closer examination the clumps are composed of a single layer of tiny, caterpillar-like insects that are covered with many fine hairs. They hang there, not moving. When I picked up a few, some of them were connected by a gossamer filament.

I scanned the critters at a high resolution - the scan is attached.
Do you have any idea what they are - or what they will become?

Thank you!

Alison

Answer
Dear Alison - At this very early stage of development, it is very difficult to say exactly what these are other than newly hatched moth larvae. I suspect that they will prove to be either in the family Lasiocampidae or Lymantriidae - see http://tinyurl.com/mutsc56 for an example. I can only suggest that you keep an eye on them, and see if you can obtain a sharp image of one or more of them at a later stage of development.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad