Entomology (Study of Bugs)/please help me identify this

hi I found a worm looking thing in my bath its really small white and a blacke head both ends and it looks like its in a cocoon im not sure what it is at the moment its winter and I live in the uk uf u could help me find out what it is thank u

Hello Danielle,

Thank you for your question and photos. The "worm" you found actually isn't a worm at all but a larval moth or butterfly. I can't see the head and body clearly enough in the photo to make a definite identification, but it looks to me like an Indian Meal Moth larva. Have you noticed small moths in your house too? They aren't dangerous but can become a pest because of their appetites.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior