Entomology (Study of Bugs)/possibly bed bugs

black small bug
black small bug  
black small bug
black small bug  
I'm Jakme and live in Long Island, NY. Yesterday morning I found a black small bug on my pillow and killed it, thinking not much of it. Then later in the evening, I found two more; one on my bed and another on my pillow and I thought to myself it must be a bed bug. I cpuldn't sleep at all because I was so paranoid about it being a bed bug, that same night I found one more walking on my wall. This morning, I found two on my pillow, one on my bed, two on my sister's bed, one on her pillow, (we share a room by the way), basically I found a few around areas near our bed. I only two that weren't black, they were a clear like color, looked like they were in an early stage. I took a photo of one on the wall. I just want to make sure if it's bed bugs and if it not, how can I get ride of them? They haven't bit me or my sister. I've checked for red spots/bites bcause I know bed bugs give those off. Thank you. x

ANSWER: Jaime,

Can you get a closer (more magnified) image. It does not really look like a bed bug but I can't see it clearly.

Jack DeAngelis

black small bug
black small bug  
QUESTION: Hi, Jack. Yes of course, here's a closer look of the picture.

It is not a bed bug but there's not enough detail to id much further. The shape is aphid-like. If there's a plant nearby check the stems for dark-colored insects that might be aphids. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/aphids.html for more about these insects.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology