Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spider identification

spider identification
spider identification  
The spider was located in a tunnel on clausland mountain in Rockland County, New York. There are hundreds of them scattered throughout the tunnels along with several crickets. the crickets are found in clumps about 2 feet long at points with approximately anywhere from 30 to 200 crickets.   The spiders are approximately 3 inches in circumference.  Are these spiders poisonous?   I've tried to do research and can't find any information on them.

I think this is one of the huntsman spiders, there are many species. Any large spider can bite but usually only in defense. Some huntsman species have venom but none are particularly dangerous. Try googling "huntsman spider" for more images.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology