Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unidentified Fly

Unidentified Fly
Unidentified Fly  
Hi Eric!

I've been unable to track down this particular fly, which I photographed in August 2013 in Berlin, Vermont.  Any idea what family it is?

My field guides are sparse, and I've made myself cross-eyed looking at pics on the internet.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Hi, Bill:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  This is a syrphid fly, Spilomyia fsuca .  It is pictured on page 299 of my Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America . :-)  If you buy a copy and mail it to me I will sign it and return it....

Here's a link with more:

Flies are very diverse and very difficult to identify, especially when they mimic other insects.  At least you recognized it as a fly!  Pat yourself on the back for that.

Happy holidays to you.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.