Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unidentified Fly

Question
Unidentified Fly
Unidentified Fly  
Hi Eric!

I've been unable to track down this particular fly, which I photographed in August 2013 in Berlin, Vermont.  Any idea what family it is?

My field guides are sparse, and I've made myself cross-eyed looking at pics on the internet.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Bill

Answer
Hi, Bill:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  This is a syrphid fly, Spilomyia fsuca .  It is pictured on page 299 of my Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America . :-)  If you buy a copy and mail it to me I will sign it and return it....

Here's a link with more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/5891

Flies are very diverse and very difficult to identify, especially when they mimic other insects.  At least you recognized it as a fly!  Pat yourself on the back for that.

Happy holidays to you.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton