Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this?

Bathroom bug
Bathroom bug  
Hi Eric. I found this bug in my bathroom crawling  on the floor near the tub  in the early morning time. I would like to know what it is and how do I get rid of it.  It's a crawler. Looks like reddish brown but in the picture it looks closer to black. Hope you can help me.

Hi, Stacy:

Thank you for including the image with your question.

The insect is a type of "spider beetle," probably this one:

It is considered a stored product pest, but is usually not numerous enough to be problematic.  Here's more:

These beetles are not uncommon in very old buildings where they mysteriously survive in the absence of any easily discerned food source.

They pose no health threat that I am aware of, but infested flour or other stored products should be disposed of.  Store vulnerable foodstuffs, including dry pet food, in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.