Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bright red winged insect, black and green body

Red winged insect
Red winged insect  
Could you identify this insect? It bit/ stung my daughter this AM, she is fine... We just have never seen this insect before.

Hi laurie
It surer looks some kind of a bee but it is too smashed up for me to tell you what kind. The only bugs this size that sting are bees and stinkbugs

Identifying insects does not work that way. there are millions of species and telling them apart involves the ability to observe mouth parts. wing veins . anrennae,and the joints at the end of the legs. I sure that this is a bee however

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ