Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Brown beetle with pattern on the back.

Brown beetle
Brown beetle  

Jack DeAngelis suggested sending my picture of a brown beetle with a cream patterning.

I live in the north of UK near Sheffield. I am trying yourselves as I have not found a similar service in the UK.

I have never seen this beetle before and can not see anything similar on beetle sites.

Three have turned up in the last two weeks or so.

Thanks for your time.

Hi, Nick:

Thank you for including the image with your question.

The reason you cannot identify it as a beetle is is not a beetle.  What you have there is the nymph of some kind of cockroach.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  It is likely one of the species in the genus Periplaneta , though I'm not sure which one:

Most of the species are widespread across the globe having travelled in commerce and become adapted to living indoors where the climate is "tropical" year-round.

If it turns out you have a problem with roaches, seek a service that uses baits instead of spraying.  Baits are much more effective and persistent in the long term, while spraying guarantees the need for repeated vi$ists from the exterminator.

Hope this helps.  Happy holidays!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.