Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug like centipede, lots bad bites and pain

Question
Bug
Bug  
Can you please identify this bug?  After 4 nights of bites, severe, I finally located it underneath bed pillow or perhaps I shook it out of the inside...not sure since I found it when starting to take the linens and house apart in the early morning of about 8 weeks ago...bites just now clearing up.  Thought bed bugs but no sign of those, thought dust mites since lots of dust under bed amongst picture frames and cardboard covered items and clutter and boxes around head end / side of bed.  About 2-3 weeks after this I found a few of what I thought could be bed bugs but no signs of blood in bed. Since so few perhaps it may be dust mites since barely able to see.  Never had a problem like this.  Is it just a coincidence that this 1" long bug was found and bites dicipated and that it was not what bit vs. an outbreak of dust mites which never happened before?  Thanks, Rich  

Answer
Rich:

Thank you for including the image with your question.

The creature is a larva of something called a "snakefly," an organism somewhat related to lacewings.  Here is more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/233370

Note also the additional resources and references at the bottom of the page in the above link.  Suffice to say that snakeflies and their larvae are predators of other insects, and of absolutely no consequence to human health.

I cannot comment on what may or may not have bitten you.  Many "bug bites" are actually symptoms of some other medical condition.  You may want to ask a physician here on AllExperts or contact your own.

Happy holidays!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton