Entomology (Study of Bugs)/"clay pots"

"clay pots"
"clay pots"  
I've found clusters of these in a wardrobe in south-west France. Are these the mud dauber wasps? Will they cause any damage or harm? I've scraped them off and they are empty; there are reddish-brown husks inside some of them.
Thank you.

Yes, these look like mud dauber wasp nests. The reddish-brown husks are probably the remains of the pupal cases or "skins". The wasps and nests are harmless and the nests won't be reused. The wasps are predators so are concerned beneficial and they are not very aggressive.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology