Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Cockroach Behaviour

While sleeping at a friend's home in the country ( in Australia ) I woke up feeling thirsty and went to the kitchen to get a drink. The place was alive with cockroaches and I observed the strangest thing. A group of cockroaches as many as thirty in number and varying from miniscule to adult in size had formed themselves into a ring facing each other and were, for want of a better description, dancing, first some steps to the left and then some to the right and this kept up for quite a time. Strangest thing ! Is this a known form of behaviour for the insect and what does it mean ?

Thankyou so much.

Hi Paul
Dancing roaches is something I have never seen and I have raised Cuban and Madagasgar hissing roaches. I did some research and could find no account of such a thing. I am in the dark the same as you. I will ask around among some of my colleauges however

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ