Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identify this Spider please

I'm Zara, a sixteen year-old girl from Florida.

I was cleaning my window when I got jumpscared by a spider. I've seen lots of spiders. But I've never seen one like this.

This was found in Tallahassee Florida, on a second floor window about 20 ft from the ground. Date 12/07/13 at 10:06 pm(nighttime).

Was active, and flexed its front two legs at me when I accidentally hit the window.

This is so cool looking :D

I apologize for the low light, its night time. I also can't get a look at its front, being it on a second floor window.

Hi, Zara!

Nice to hear from you :-)  Thank you for including the image with your question.

Your spider is definitely an adult female orbweaver, family Araneidae.  Unfortunately, the image is of the spider's underside (belly, venter), and most orbweavers look virtually identical from this perspective.

There are at least three genera I can think of that it might be:  Neoscona , Araneus , and possibly Eriophora .  Here is a great website that might help with this, and/or future inquiries about spiders:

Hope this helps.  Thank you for writing, hope to hear from you again.  Happy holidays!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.