Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery House Insect

QUESTION: I live in Colorado and I have major bug problem. I keep finding a particular type of bug and for me this is not a good thing because I am afraid of bugs. It is about a centimeter and a half long and half a centimeter in width. It lacks antennae. It has a black head and behind with a horizontal yellow stripe in the middle. It has four, maybe six legs, it is hard to tell. It hides under rarely moved objects and moves fast for a insect which is why I can never get a picture of it. Please help me.

ANSWER: Brianna,

Do you find these in a certain part of the house? How many have you seen? Can you describe how it moves? Post a follow up and I'll help you figure this out.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: I have seen them everywhere except the bathroom. This week I have seen three in my living room. But over the course of this past year, I have seen about fifty of them. It sort of moves like a cat or dog but the upper portion of its legs stick out from its body.

These sound like immature cockroaches (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroach_identification.html for picture). Cockroaches have antennae but sometimes they are so thin they can be hard to see. Take a look at the picture on that page and tell me if that's approx. what you are seeing.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology