Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery House Insect

Question
QUESTION: I live in Colorado and I have major bug problem. I keep finding a particular type of bug and for me this is not a good thing because I am afraid of bugs. It is about a centimeter and a half long and half a centimeter in width. It lacks antennae. It has a black head and behind with a horizontal yellow stripe in the middle. It has four, maybe six legs, it is hard to tell. It hides under rarely moved objects and moves fast for a insect which is why I can never get a picture of it. Please help me.

ANSWER: Brianna,

Do you find these in a certain part of the house? How many have you seen? Can you describe how it moves? Post a follow up and I'll help you figure this out.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: I have seen them everywhere except the bathroom. This week I have seen three in my living room. But over the course of this past year, I have seen about fifty of them. It sort of moves like a cat or dog but the upper portion of its legs stick out from its body.

Answer
These sound like immature cockroaches (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroach_identification.html for picture). Cockroaches have antennae but sometimes they are so thin they can be hard to see. Take a look at the picture on that page and tell me if that's approx. what you are seeing.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis