Entomology (Study of Bugs)/what is this species?

fluff insect
fluff insect  
Hi Walter,

I live on the Northern Beaches, Sydney Australia & have come across this insect twice now.

It is quite small ( under 1cm ) & looks to have web fluff & twigs all stuck to its back. Can you please tell me what it is & what family It's related to?

Thanks regards Aaron

Hi Aaron
There are many species of insects that build structures to hide in or cover themselves with debris. Since I cannot see this bug I cannot be sure what it is. It well good be Hopper  of the order Homoptera. Is it possible you uncover the bug and get a photo for me

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ