Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny flying flea like insect with what looks like a shell

Question
Hi Eric I ran across this post while trying to identify a tiny flying flea like insect with a shell aprox 1 1/2 mm in size. The picture was hard to tell if it was the same bug.
I first start seeing them in my SUV as if they were coming from the under/around the dash. (the front of my suv does sit under a small thin tree/bush and there is a field behind the tree line. I live in north east florida.
Did you ever figure out what his bug was and do you have a better picture.
I though I had gotten rid of them by cleaning the inside out my suv they were gone for almost 2 weeks but I have started seeing one or 2 of them again.
I hope you can help
Angie

Expert: Eric R. Eaton - 10/9/2012

Question

Strange insect

Strange insect  
Eric,

These have been showing up recently in my kitchen. Mostly behind the sink and stove. They fly and don't seem to bite, but they are pests! I live in central Florida if that helps at all.

Thanks so much!

your response

Rob:

This is puzzling.  The image is very clear and obviously depicts some kind of bark or ambrosia beetle (family Curculionidae, subfamily Scolytidae).  They are generally considered forest pests, not household pests....

Could you e-mail me this image and more details?  I know a few people who might recognize this insect to at least genus if not species.  It could also potentially be something exotic, and if so then the proper experts need to know.  Let me know if you have traveled recently and brought back some wooden object, furniture, etc.

Thanks!

Eric

Answer
Angie:

No, I did not get a more specific identification for the previous questioner....

Your insect may or may not be related.  Without seeing an actual specimen, chances are that I would not be able to identify what you are describing (short of a clear image of an intact specimen through a microscope).  Sorry.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton