Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug bite

I was working on a machine inside a building in Connecticut when I felt a pinch in the top of my hand like a bug bite. I was wearing 3 mil Nitrile gloves at the time.  What kind of Ct bug can bite through gloves. I would think only a bee would be capable, but it's kind of cold for them.  It got all infected and blew up like a balloon.  I was thinking maybe it was just something sharp on the machine.

Dear John -  Any insect or other arthropod capable of inflicting a bite through those gloves definitely would be big enough to have been noticed. I am inclined to agree with your suspicion that something on the machine was responsible. The time of year also would seem to mitigate against the injury being insect-related.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.