Entomology (Study of Bugs)/carpet beetles

Question
I have an infestation of what has been identified as carpet beetles by Rutgers Extension and treated according to their instructions by a professional exterminator using what he referred to as product specifically for the insects. The treatment has been useless and the infestation remains the same.  I live in Barnegat NJ in a 9 year old home. My home is tidy and well maintained.  I can not say that it is dust free all the time as the most meticulous home can never be that.Please tell me more about these tiny, black insects that have perpetrated every room in our home and your recommendations for finding the source and permanently removing them. Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Answer
Dolly,

It is generally not necessary to treat carpet beetles with insecticide. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for photos and control suggestions. The source of the infestation is in some kind of stored food such as cereal or dry pet food. Once the primary infestation is found and disposed of only a light application of a dust-type insecticide to cracks and crevices may be necessary (this step can often be skipped). Occasionally the infestation is in walls where mice have cached seeds. If you hear mice this is a possibility. Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis