Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Correct taxonomy

Question
QUESTION: Hallo,
I have a question about Schistocerca gregaria. It is often mentioned as a member of Cyrtacanthacridinae, however some (older) literature states its part of the Catantopinae.
I was wondering if there is some sort of database in which you can see at what point they reclassified it from Catantopinae to Cyrtacanthacridinae ? Or is there no such database to see at what time researchers decided to reclassify this locust?

greetings,
Jan

ANSWER: Jan:

The "Orthoptera Species File Online" is generally recognized as *the* authority on matters like this.  Here is the link to their page on Schistocerca that shows the higher taxonomy at the top of the page:

http://orthoptera.speciesfile.org/Common/basic/Taxa.aspx?TaxonNameID=44685

Hope this helps!

Eric

QUESTION: Ok, thanks, however two more questions:
I checked it and noticed this:
Johnston, H.B. 1956. Annotated catalogue of African grasshoppers 354 >> Note: Catantopinae: Group Cyrtacanthacres >> Schistocerca

This reference mentioned Catantopina, but not sure how to interpret this, does it mean that  Cyrtacanthacres according to this source is a group of the catantopinae?

Also: there is not some sort of general databank where you can see at what time an animal is changed from one group to another?

greetings,
Jan

Answer
Jan:

You have exhausted the limits of my expertise on this.  You might consider contacting the webmaster at the Orthoptera Species File and address your latest question to him or her.  Thank you for understanding most of my questioneers have no knowledge of insects at all (or at least limited knowledge), and my role here it to educate them.  I am a generalist and a writer.  A writer first, actually.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton